Bookmark and Share

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tears for the Taj - 2

I am adding what my dad wrote after reading my blog. This is as is in his words...clearly there are numerous memories across generations associated with the Grand Dome.


Taj Colaba has lots of nostalgic memories. Joining IBM in 1968 my travels to Bombay (now Mumbai) began. Frequency increased and in 1975,76 and 77 it at times became twice a week. Oberoi had started Oberoi Sheraton (later knwn as Oberoi Towers and now it is Trident) in early 1970s only. 90 to 95% of my stay was in the Taj It was at the old wing only till 1975 or so, as it was only then that the new wing took shape.

The old wing Taj had its entrance from the back side (not the sea front). Taxis/Cars came in via the lane and entered. There was a swimming pool at the ground floor level (I think it's still there). The lobby was there. There was an entrance facing the sea but it was used mainly by frequent visitors who came to the Sea Lounge. Formal lobby for check in had its entrance from the rear. I think Rudyard Kipling said Taj was a hotel which had its front at its back or something like that referring to this feature.

I have stayed in all floors but mostly in the second or third. Sixth floor rooms had lower roof height .

Apart from this there were occasions when Amma with Padma and little Nanu were on vacation at ESI House in Colaba Causeway facing Kailash Parbat chatwala shop. I had official visits and on a few occasions stayed at the Taj when Raji and kids were at ESI House. Little Nanu standing in the balcony of the fourth floor flat at ESI House and used to point out to the Taj dome (clearly seen from the house) saying "Taj Ottal--Appa is there"!

We had occasional eating out at the Sea Lounge and trip up the spiral staircase.

I have stayed at Oberoi when it was still under construction. They completed up-to six floors and started occcupancy. Same when new wing in the Taj was allotted on some trips with only first ten floors were ready.

All these flashed back when boring Barkha and loud Arnab and Rahul were pointing fingers at the grand old edifice.

It will take a year or more when one can visit the Taj again.

Compared to Taj Colaba Taj land's end has to go a long way to acquire character and depth.

One day when Aadi grows up I will narrate this and take him for ice cream and cakes at the Taj Colaba (at Sea Lounge perhaps).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that particular model. The prices seeking the velcros are about 310 bucks everwhere. But for all I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi there friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that particular model. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are all over 180 pounds everwhere. But for all I bring about this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi fellas. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging for that singular make. The prices for the shoes were all over 230 dollars everwhere. But completely I found this area selling them for half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you tell me about these?

Blog Archive